Monday, April 23, 2012

Viennese Journal 4.0 - Reparative Justice, Legal Aid, and Blessings of St. Stephan

I made my first appearance in the United Nations Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice. It will take a long time to process all that I experienced today, and so it is difficult to know what to report. I felt like I was in a dream most of the day.




I was too excited to sleep much, and stayed/woke up way too early.  I spent the time reviewing the basics of international law, and human rights conventions in general.  I didn't know that the UN had passed a declaration in support of gay rights. (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/UN_declaration_on_sexual_orientation_and_gender_identity )

We began the day with a meeting of the International Nongovernmental Organizations (INGOs). We all have observer status at this Commission which means that we can watch, we can talk to delegates outside of meetings, and we can host "side events" on issues of interest, and we occasionally have the rare opportunity to address the entire Commission.  The Commission is composed of forty member states from around the world. Other Nations that are not members are allowed to show up and join in if they like.  Walking around these folks was like being at Starfleet Academy, with people from every corner of the earth talking and discussing important issues together.

At the INGO Meeting I met Elias Carranza, the director of the Latin American arm of the Crime Commission for the United Nations. I got to speak some Spanish with him and describe my concerns for immigration policy in the United States. He was a very kind man, and seemed genuinely glad to hear my views. We spoke some Spanish together. 

As we were leaving the INGO Meeting, we spoke with Michael Platzer, the head of the INGO contingent about some of our views on immigration. He suggested that we sign up to speak on the issue and share our views. It looked like a good opportunity to address the entire body.  So the Quaker delegation met over coffee to discuss our plan for the day, and our attempt to get a speaking slot at the Plenary session. The Quaker delegation from Friends World Committee for Consultation is Nicholas McGeorge, Kimmet Edgar, Oliver Robertson, and Rachel Brett. These wonderful people bring a great deal of knowledge and experience to the issues of international human rights, especially the treatment of prisoners.

We discussed the possibility of making a statement on immigration.  In my law practice I have encountered a wide variety of injustices arising from the treatment of immigrants in the Court system. I have also learned about Quaker approaches to immigration policy from my friend Lori Khamala at the American Friends Service Committee in Greensboro. I am on retainer with the Mexican Consulate to explore civil rights violations of Mexican Nationals. And, I have recently been inspired by the North Carolina Dream Team, a group of young undocumented activists working for a lawful path toward residency, and fair treatment under the law.  (See my Blog on the Red Book).  With these experiences fresh in mind, I drafted a proposed statement. Quaker friends kicked it around, made suggestions, and edits, until we finally had something we liked. We got on the speakers list, got the statement reviewed by some folks with our sponsor organization FWCC, and it looks like I am going to deliver it tomorrow before the Commission. And so, if all continues to fall into place, I will be addressing the entire plenary session sometime between 3:00 and 6:00 pm Vienna time. (9 am to 12:00 noon EST). It will be live streamed from the UN Crime Commission website (http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/commissions/CCPCJ/session/21.html)

In addition to drafting the proposed statement I attended some plenary sessions, and some "side events" hosted by other INGOs. I attend a side event called "Victims of terrorism and Victimized Migrants: The Role of Research, Traumatic Effects and of Reparative Justice." I was inspired by one presenter in particular, Yael Danieli, a clinical psychologist who works with victims of terrorist attacks.  She reminded me of my friend Marcia Owen who works tirelessly, from her heart, for victims of crime. We got to speak briefly afterward and share stories about miracles truth and reconciliation the healing of victims.  

I also attended a side event on "Improving Legal Aid: Experiences and Best Practices."  In this amazing presentation I heard from Marcos Fuchs of Brazil as he described a public defender system drowning in lack of support. With two million requests for service a year, 500 public defenders try to help people arrested. Defendants average six months in pretrial confinement before they get their first hearing. People charged with murder can wait up to 10 years for a trial.  I shared with him the work of the Institute of Government in training public defenders, and the work of the Indigent Defense Services of North Carolina in quantifying the cost savings of public defenders as a way to persuade policy makers to fund public defense.  This seemed like a genuine moment of realization for him.  It costs lest to pay a public defender to sort through the people in pretrial confinement, than it costs to confine them.  I also heard some moving accounts of public defenders in Slovakia and Sierre Lione.  I met Maha Jweied, Senior Counsel of the Access to Justice Initiative with the United States Department of Justice.  I told her that I was concerned with the cuts of funding to public defense in the state system in North Carolina.  I was concerned that the funding had been cut back so much that some people could no longer be assured of adequate assistance of counsel.  She was open to receiving more information about this potential constitutional violation in the right to counsel.

After the meetings, I was supposed to go back to the apartment (by myself) and find Kerry and meet the delegation at St. Stephan's cathedral.  I got really lost on the subway and walking back to the Apartment. We were late to St. Stephen's cathedral, and waited out front in case our friends were the ones who were late.  (Our cell phones don't work in Vienna).

Kerry went inside to look around as I stood out front. An older gentleman in a beard noticed the dove I was wearing. He was very curious about it and asked a lot of questions. I explained it is made out of coconut, and that I wear it to remember my connection to poor folks and soldiers traumatized by war. (A story for another blog perhaps). As I explained the significance of my Dove, a younger lady joined him to hear. After I finished she asked if she could bless my Dove. I was pretty surprised and taken aback, but rolled with it. So she took out a flask of what I assume was holy water. She sprinkled it on her fingers and made a cross on my dove. Then she said a little prayer and crossed herself. She said, "may the Holy Spirit fill you always." I thanked her for her blessing.

We ended the day with a wonderful Austrian meal of Weinerschnitzel.  I tried a beer called Radler - which is actually Beer and limonade.  It will be my last Radler. Then I had an apple streudle for desert with some good coffee.  I got to hear how Kerry spent a wonderful day with the Aunt of my college roommate (Christoph).  Aunt Ulli showed Kerry the town.

I have received some beautiful and moving emails from friends with their thoughts, perspectives, encouragements, and support. I am so deeply thankful for all of you, and this unique opportunity to grow in service. I aim to be a humble channel of light and serve however I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment