Monday, April 30, 2012

Viennese Journal 11.0 The Trip Home and Next Steps

We awoke in London and made our way to Earl’s Court Underground exchange and took the subway to Heathrow airport. We flew across the Atlantic.


I took the opportunity to try to reflect on the various experiences, ideas, and inspirations. I started the process of distilling the information into something useful.  I have begun learning the importance of shaking the tree of ideas, and then getting to work making jam.  Here are some of the fruit I have shaken from the trees:

I want to share some of the international human rights standards I have encountered with federal, state, and local officials. In particular, I want to spread the word on international standards for the treatment of: 
  • Children, Juveniles
  • Incarcerated Persons in prison or recently released
  • Immigrants
  • Persons with mental illness
  • Victims of crime,
  • Women (In prison, and victimized because they are women)
  • Persons in Poverty and their human rights
  • Police training in mediation and support in difficult work
I also want to share information I have learned about Restorative Justice approaches to the treatment of these vulnerable groups in our criminal justice system and community.  I learned some best practices about crime prevention, the training of police in mediation and community resolution skills, and the convergence of illicit political economies.   
 I have some ideas about how to organize Quakers and others interested around particular issues, share international standards and best practices, establish goals about consciousness raising and lobbying efforts, and working toward international human rights standards here in North Carolina.
I have more to learn about International Human rights law, and have some great resources to study. I will be following more closely the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime, the United Nations High Commissioner on Human Rights, United Nation Committee against Torture, and United Nations Committee on Narcotic Drugs.
In general, my local state and community falls way short of the International Consensus on the human rights of vulnerable groups.
It also appears that I am likely to be asked to return next year to focus on the issues of the death penalty and life sentences without review, environmental crimes, and crime prevention.  I look forward to getting help from our Meeting earth care witness committee for suggestions on Quaker perspectives on environmental crime.
Some of the issues and ideas I will continue to learn about include:
  • Restorative Justice
  • The treatment of drugs as a health problem, not a crime
  • The Provision of qualified Legal Aid to persons incarcerated around the world
  • The provision of training and support to Police officers in identifying mental health problems, getting assistance to vulnerable people, mediation, ADR, and Restorative Justice,
  • Death Penalty and life in prison without review
  • Environmental Crimes
  • Crime Prevention through social reintegration of offenders, political and economic development
I also have more thinking and writing to do on these issues:

·         The broader meaning of what it means to participate in the United Nations, opportunities to build a Global Civic Society and Identity
·         The relation between Countries and “Civil Society” as it parallels the tension between federal government and non-profit service and advocacy
·         Some Lessons on travelling in the Ministry, as a practical experience, as a metaphor for my broader life spiritual journey
·         Developing a strategic plan around issues of death penalty and environmental crime for the UN Crime Commission next year
·         A Brief statement of my view of Quakerism to better explain our faith practices when I am out and about
When I got home, we shared some presents with the children. Caleb got a fancy Austrian chess set. The other kids received some authentic Austrian clothing. It is good to be home again.


This concludes my Viennese journal. I want to thank you for your encouragement, thoughts, support, and loving kindness. I have been blessed by you and this amazing opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment